Old July 25th 06, 08:18 PM posted to rec.autos.makers.chrysler
Steve[_1_]

Default '65 Chrysler trans fluid

Count Floyd wrote:

>>It works perfectly. ATF+3 and +4 are fully backward-compatible with all
>>the Dexron family of fluids, dating all the way back to the pre-Dexron
>>"Type A."

> Is it backward compatible with my 1940 FluidDrive?

IIRC, Chrysler "fluid drives" used engine oil, not a separate
transmission fluid.

But if I recall wrong and they used Type A fluid, then in theory it
would be compatible. But I wouldn't do it- a) its a big waste of money,
and b) I'd be a little concerned about the effect the added friction
modifiers might have.