Old July 8th 05, 06:28 AM
Bernard Farquart

"John F. Carr" > wrote in message
> In article >,
> Bernard Farquart > wrote:
>>
>>"John F. Carr" > wrote in message

>>> The original poster said the pedestrian was not in the crosswalk.
>>>

>>Look above, the quoted text is still there.
>>

>>"About to step into the cross walk", the one with the walk signal.

> And if the red light is "about to turn green" can you go? No.
> A pedestrian outside of a crosswalk -- i.e., on the sidewalk --
> does not have right of way over traffic on the road and may not
> enter the road when a vehicle is approaching.

If he has the "walk" signal, he has right of way.That is the purpose
of the stinking signal.

Here is an excerpt for WA
(1) WALK or walking person symbol-Pedestrians facing such signal may
cross the roadway in the direction of the signal. Vehicle operators shall
stop for pedestrians who are lawfully moving within the intersection control
area on such signal as required by RCW 46.61.235(1).

So, you cross an intersection, and the pedestrian steps out as you turn.
Guess who gets the ticket if there is pedestrian-vehicle
contact?

Uniform Vehicle
> Code section 11-502(b) says "No pedestrian shall suddenly leave
> a curb or other place of safety and walk or run into the path of
> a vehicle which is so close as to constitute an immediate hazard."
>
> In other words, ties go to the vehicle.

Dip****, that does not say anything about a crosswalk, that
looks like it is talking about the middle of a block, or other
unmarked area of roadway. Exactly *not* like the situation
referenced above.

>>Not stopping, and clipping someone *as* he steps out into the
>>crosswalk is still not good for your insurance rates.

> Massachusetts law does not allow personal injury claims to be
> considered in setting car insurance rates.

HA, like anyone can *prove* what the rates are set by.

Bernard