Old June 24th 05, 02:45 AM
Anthony W

Karls Vladimir Peņa wrote:
> Hi Ramva!
>
> I've been rebuilding my '70 bug's engine (1300cc SP mostly stock) and
> everything has been just perfect except for one thing. Some of the exhaust
> studs had some threads stripped, so I got new ones and removed them using
> the double nut technique and in a couple of them, vice grips. The problem
> is, one of the studs had no threads at all, It seems the nut was long gone
> and the J-Pipe stripped it. When using the vice grips the stud just broke
> leaving only about 5mm of it out of the head. Anyways it has no threads, and
> the vice grip has no grip at all. How can I remove the stud without removing
> the head? It seems like I'm cursed with stubborn nuts, bolts and studs.
> Remember the axle nut from hell on christmas 2003?
>
> Thank you all for your help.
> Karls

Slip a nut over the end of the stud and weld the nut to the stud. It
doesn't matter that if there is a 5mm or so gap, a wire-feed welder will
fill that right up. After it cools, it'll come right out but you will
probably need to helicoil the hole.

Some folks like brass nuts on exhaust studs to prevent this problem.
However I like to use stainless steel nuts on exhaust studs. I still
use anti-seize compound with them and I've never had a set stick.

Tony