Old May 26th 05, 03:41 PM
Daniel J. Stern

On Thu, 26 May 2005 wrote:

> went through FIVE headlights, Even today when I see a new Beetle driving
> past me with one headlight working, I'm reminded to stay away from the
> brand until they work on their supplier issues.

Beetles' appetite for headlamp bulbs has nothing to do with any "supplier
issues". It has everything to do with VW's engineering stupidity. They
picked a high-output, short-life bulb type...and then ran it full time as
nighttime low beams and daytime running lights. Had they picked a
different daytime running light implementation (or left the DRLs off,
since they're not yet required in the US), or picked a different bulb
type, there would've been no such problem.

Of course, since they were VW, they also built the car such that replacing
the dead bulb is a royal PITA.