Old May 25th 04, 10:33 PM
Christoph Bollig

> >From: "RapidRon"
> >
> >I posted about this a little while ago, but still need more info.
> >
> >My newly-acquired 1991 A4 2.8Q (14,000 miles) has very erratic, jerky and
> >unpredictable throttle response, especially when starting from a stop. I
> >never know how it will respond. My wife nearly had an accident due to
> >throttle delay, and I hate driving in close quarters, like when parking.
> >The car is likely to do nothing at the first application of throttle, then
> >leap ahead. It's impossible to provide smooth acceleration, unless you
> >apply the throttle so slowly and carefully that you are willing to be the
> >last one away from the traffic light, with the car behind eating your
> >bumper. Mid-range throttle is better, but still poor, compared to any other
> >car I've driven.
> >
> >The dealer had the car for a day, and said it was "normal". Screw that --
> >if it's normal, I want them to buy it back! They did a throttle adaptation
> >(I think) and that seemed to help a tiny amount (maybe) for a short time,
> >but then it was back to the old tricks. I'm beginning to hate driving this
> >otherwise-nice car.
> >
> >I've read other complaints about something similar -- mainly throttle lag --
> >in various forums, but haven't read of anything exactly like this, nor of a
> >fix. HELP!!!!

> I have seen things from soft/broken motor mounts to broken/cracked boots to the
> throttle body causing problems like that. Something might shift unexpectedly
> when you first start to accelerate.
> Check those boots first and let us know what you find!

Very stupid question: Does it do the same thing when standing in
neutral? If yes, did you try to turn the throttle at the engine (I
don't know what it is called, I mean this thing where the cable from
the acellerator cable ends at the engine and turns something). If you
turn there, you might be able to narrow down whether there is a
problem in the transmission from the paddle to the engine or in the
engine.

Just a thought, I am not an expert,

Christoph
--
Important: Emails sent to me which contain my full name
in the "to:" or "cc:" field will bypass my spam filter.