Old August 26th 06, 11:05 PM posted to rec.autos.simulators
jason moyer

Default Sim Racing Software Pricing

Tony Rickard wrote:

> Having experienced the drought of products when Papyrus stopped
> producing open wheel sims due to financial pressures we should be aware
> of the consequences.

Why spend money on low-quality products when there are good sims coming
out still? I'm not saying that I understand the people who whine about
spending $40 on LFS or NKPro when the demos for each give you a good
idea of whether the sim is for you or not, but on the other hand I
personally can't afford to drop that much change when most of my racing
time is still being eaten up by GT Legends and stuff that I'm more
likely to enjoy like GTR2 and Simbin's WTCC sim aren't too far off.
Not to forget iRacing too. Or the 79 mod for rFactor. Or Driver's
Republic (the new sim from the physics programmer who did RBR and a
bunch of long-time community members).

I also can't fathom spending more than $100 on a sim racing setup
either when I've gotten by perfectly fine with a non-FF Sidewinder
wheel that I paid $50 for 7 years ago. I'm not saying the immersion
factor of an expensive 3 pedal/shifter 3-LCD cockpit setup is a bad
thing, but there are guys at the top of the lap charts in every sim
using consumer setups like mine (or MSFF's and Logitech Momo's).