Old November 14th 04, 10:22 PM
SBlackfoot

> > I'm not the least bit familair with the Mitsubishi engine. How would I
> check
> > the crank position sensor or the cam sensor?

> Use a scope and a timing light. Don't forget to put the car on a sisemic
> shake table to simulate the vibration normally felt by the sensors during
> operation. And don't forget to use heatlamps to simulate typical

underhood
> temperatures. Note: don't put the scope on the shake table.
>
> May I gently brain you with a 2x4 here? You just stated you aren't

familar
> with the engine in question. Don't you think that by now it might

possibly
> be
> a good idea to GET familiar with it? Such as reading the factory service
> manual for the vehicle? Or do you LIKE just replacing every part in the
> vehicle until you stumble over the problem by accident? If so, why don't
> you buy another '93 GV and just start exchanging parts one at a time
> until the entire engine and drivetrain has been exchanged. Surely you
> would have a good chance of finding the problem part that way!!
>
> You should be taking the advice here as a pointer to look in the section
> of the service manual that covers what you were pointed to. It is just a
> start. Not an end.

Well you *were* being helpful... Isn't asking questions about an engine a
good way to begin learning about it? Last time I checked FSMs are pricey.
Are you suggesting I shell out for a FSM for a vehicle that I do not own?
Shell out for said service manual because of a single problem? Obviously I'm
not familiar with it else I wouldn't be asking for advise.

As for throwing parts at it we haven't replaced a single component yet so
I'm not sure where that came from. I mentioned car/rotor/leads but they're
common tune-up items on any engine with a distributor and are overdue. Would
you buy another van just for simple disposeable parts? Wow.