Old March 7th 05, 09:59 PM
Lawrence Glickman

On Mon, 07 Mar 2005 21:36:10 GMT, "Pete C." >
wrote:

>"Daniel J. Stern" wrote:
>>
>> On Mon, 7 Mar 2005 wrote:
>>
>> > I change my own oil and it is getting harder to crawl under the car to
>> > change oil. I have seen units that can suck up the oil through the
>> > dipstick tube.
>> > Think these are ok?

>> No, they're halfassed. All the heavy sludge and tar and chips and chunks
>> stay on the bottom of the oil pan instead of being drained out.

>The heavy sludge, tar and chunks stay in the bottom of the oil pan and
>the chips stay stuck to the magnet whether you drain from the plug or
>suck from the top. The only way to really get that crap out is to drop
>the pan and clean it manually.
>
>The gunk at the bottom of the pan is also of little consequence unless
>it builds to the level of the oil pickup and/or you roll the vehicle
>regularly. If it's settled at the bottom it's not in circulation, and if
>it was it would be in the filter in short order.
>
>Since on most vehicles you have to get under them to change the filter
>anyway the suction type is fairly pointless. That said, most of the
>professional grade suction oil units will work ok and most of the
>consumer ones are crap.
>
>Pete C.

You need a perfectly air-tight seal where the different size holes
couple together. ANY vacuum leak at those joints will render the unit
useless. This is the voice of experience speaking.

I put electrical tape around the hose ends where they join the
couplers and hose clamps on top of that. No air leaks. Works as
advertised.

Lg