Old January 26th 05, 06:23 PM
Richard Bell

In article >,
Finite Guy > wrote:
>To clarify this, I was more or less rolling at about 2 mph and the
>road just simply was all ice and the car slipped to the side. The rest
>or the trafice was either stopped or rolling at 2 mph. The left turn
>was also sort of banked on a slight incline. No one can control a
>vehicle under those conditions unless you have a military tank with
>treads. The only safe speed here is 0 mph for any normal car. My
>mistake was bothering to go to work today.

If you lost control at merely 2mph, because your car lost traction,
how on earth did you manage to find enough traction to pull your
car out of the snow pile, without help?

I have driven on black ice at 20mph. I lost control because I had
air in the rear brakelines of my RWD car. Once I unditched the vehicle,
with the help of about eight people, I drove home at about 16mph, took
the unbled rears into account, and suffered no further incident.
[It is not that I had **no** rear braking, only that the rears would not
lock up, which is sometimes convenient.]

I choose to believe that you are a poor judge of speed, as I have yet to
see a speedo that comes off of the peg before 10mph.