Old July 22nd 05, 09:22 AM
Bram

Thanks for the info!

> > How's the reliability of the 3.0? I couldn't find much about it
> > googling this group but I figure it's more durable than the
> > turboed 1.8s? I'm about to buy an '02 A4 and I am trying to
> > decide between the 163HP 1.8TQ and the 220HP 3.0TQ..

> Again, you need to decide what is important to you - durability or
> performance.

I think durability is #1 for me. I'm more of a cruiser than a racer
and performance is more like a luxury to me. Once a year I drive to
Germany to let the car smell her home and let her go wild but most
of the time it's < 130Km/h (80Mph). Dutch roads are cluttered and
clogged 24/7 anyway. Not to mention the speeding-nazis lurking around
every corner and under every bridge with their laserguns and cameras.

> The 220HP 3.0TQ may sound like a more exciting and fast ride but the 3.0
> has its own maintenance issues - timing belt changes. cam seal oil leaks
> unless that have that figured out by now.

Thanks for pointing that out. I'll ask about it.

> The 1.8TQM at factory 163HP is still a fun experience and if maintenance
> is kept current will probably be as reliable as the 3.0.

The thing is that I currently have a 180bhp TT and I kind of dislike
the thought of moving to a heavier car with less power. I'm going to
testdrive both tomorrow but I expect the 3.0 M6 to fit the character
of the heavy A4 Avant Quattro better.

Cheers!