Old February 19th 05, 03:59 AM

Leakdown test will reveal alot more info to base a diagnosis on. Who
knows, the dealer might have already done one (a leakdown).

I find the idea of a valvetrain problem plausible, and its **ALOT**
easier to have a look at. Pulling the valve covers on a DOHC looks time
consuming, but easily done with a fairly basic set of tools.

Doing some brief google research shows cobra shortblocks & longblocks
are not cheap;

http://www.seanhylandmotorsport.com/

Shortblocks running 4K and longblocks running 8K. Ouch. These are 'done
up' engines, so they probably a bit more pricey than a factory
replacement. I think FRPP sells complete (pan to intake/injectors) 99
cobra engines for around 5-6k (no catalog handy)?

Bottom line; the original poster owns a cobra, they are expensive to
buy, and are expensive to fix when they break. I would suggest that
he/she 'buck up' and fix it right, or get rid of it if he/she is not
prepared to pay the expense. Not trying to give anyone a hard time here,
but I see it as a simple economics thing...

Chris

('97 Rio Red Cobra Coupe)