Old September 13th 04, 04:28 AM
G. Burkhart

"Brian Turner" > wrote in message
> When the car is going 65 (according to the car following) the speedometer
> reads 70.

This is 'normal' for a Miata. My GPS consistantly reads 65mph when the
speedometer reads 70.

> I am not as concerned about the speedometer being off as the RPM range

the
> car is in when driving 65 MPH. The car revs at 3,700 RPM. This seems
> excessive, but being new to Miatas it may be OK. Is this RPM normal for
> driving at 65 in a Miata.

Seems a bit high -- although they may have changed the gear ratio in the
newer Miatas. My '94 reads 3500rpm at 70mph (indicated) and 4k at 80mph in
5th gear. Be aware of the rev limiter around 7200rpm, which in my car I hit
at 65mph in 2nd gear and 80mph in 3rd. Haven't hit the rev limiter in 4th or
5th. Theoretical speed limit of my Miata would be 144mph, haven't tried that
yet. ;-)