Old July 30th 06, 09:19 PM posted to rec.autos.tech
ray

Default Gasket Maker Question

shiden_kai wrote:

> For you hobby mechanics, you have the time to let these things
> "set up". It's not possible for a flat rate dealer tech to do it this way
> unless I had 3 bays (which I don't).
>
> Ian

I'm a diy-er, and I'll admit to not waiting for the silicone... once the
parts are reinstalled, it's time to test-fire it. Not been a problem.

of course, I'm not reinstalling an oil pan and immediately driving 500
miles... usually just around the block and then leaving it overnight, so
I guess it has a chance to cure.

My best/worst silicone jobs are the end seals on a "classic" SBC. Every
third time we do it it leaks and I have to redo it. Always in the same
spot, back by the oil sending unit. But I'm getting better.
(don't ask why the intake is coming off so often... but if you wanna
know, I've gone through a couple of engines... and swapped cams and
intakes for more power... and the odd blowed up engine...)

Ray