Old July 29th 06, 03:21 PM posted to rec.autos.tech
jim

Default Gasket Maker Question

ramseybuckeye wrote:

> I am replacing an O Ring on a Honda engine oil cooler and with Permatex
> Sensor-Safe High-Temp RTV Silicone Gasket (red). The TDS for the
> product states 24 hour cure. I assume I need to wait 24 hours, or will
> it acually seal faster?

Most of the silicone adhesives sold for automotive application are
moisture-cure silicones, so moisture in the air is the usual agent for
curing and the rate of cure depends on the humidity. This can be
accelerated with the direct application of water or steam. The problem
is that if you get the outer skin to cure too fast that creates a
moisture barrier that prevents the inner part from curing. That's more
of a problem if the application is thick or pushed deep into a crack.
A thin film of soapy water on the surface is considered by some to be
the best method to get a rapid cure and a smooth blended surface (like
when you are caulking a bathtub). Others claim a little spit on the tip
of your finger is the best method of shaping the surface and getting a
rapid cure.

-jim