Old December 31st 04, 02:25 AM
Dave Baker

>Subject: Is Impact Wrench Proper Tool?
>From: "Ron"
>Date: 30/12/04 14:46 GMT Standard Time
>
>I've recently ordered (delivery in late February) a freightliner
>sportchassis medium duty truck (22.5X8.25 10-bolt wheels with Michelin
>XRV 255/80R22.5 14-ply tires) to tow a trailer while I'm retired and
>fulltiming in the RV. The truck has air brakes and air ride and
>includes a quick disconnect fitting with hose for a tire inflation kit.
>With this set-up I thought it might be a good idea to pruchase an air
>impact wrench to periodically check/tighten the lug nuts on the truck
>and trailer. However, after the research I've conducted (this is a
>VERY confusing topic for a newbee) I'm not so sure this is as good an
>idea as I thought. I do not anticipate using the impact wrench for any
>other task. Other maintenance I do I can handle with my ratchet,
>breaker bar, and/or cheater pipe.
>
>Is an impact wrench the tool I should be considering?

No. It's probably the least suitable tool you'll ever need for that job.

>If so, would an Ingersoll Rand 1/2" or 3/4" wrench (model #?)be
>correct?
>Or, is a good torque wrench a better choice?
>Any assistance will be greatly appreciated.

A torque wrench would be the right tool if you're particularly pedantic about
wheel nut torque settings but most people manage perfectly well doing them up
by feel. In fact that isn't true. Most people manage perfectly well by never
checking them in the first place. After all, when was the last time you saw a
car sailing down the road on three wheels being overtaken by the fourth?
--
Dave Baker - Puma Race Engines (
www.pumaracing.co.uk)