Old June 15th 06, 10:58 PM posted to rec.autos.makers.ford.mustang

Default Has anyone installed a Security Alarm

On Thu, 15 Jun 2006 19:56:54 +0000, KEITH MCCUMBER wrote:

> Another trick I came up with was to use the ignition interrupt as a fuel
> pump cutoff instead, the thinking being that the thief is wasting time
> looking under the hood instead of the trunk.

Best trick I heard of for keeping your car from being stolen was a switch
spliced into a critical line in the cable going to the ECM. Don't pick a
low voltage one like a hall effect or such because you might add too much
resistance and screw up the signal. Pick a RUN line or similar.

You can mask pins off with piece of paper on the connector until you find
one that keeps the car from starting.

Now here is the good part.....

Place the switch RIGHT ON THE DASH in the form of an option you don't have.

Example: You don't have fog light option so there is a knockout where the
switch would normally be.
Purchase an OEM fog light switch from Ford and wire the computer line to
it.
Hide the wires VERY CAREFULLY in an existing harness....

It won't save the car from being vandalized or towed, but the ignition
column crushers and computer hackers will be out of luck.