Old January 6th 05, 06:27 PM
Motorhead Lawyer

fbloogyudsr wrote:
> "Mistyloowho" > wrote
> > HELP! I have been driving a standard now for about...ohhh, 2 days

and it
> > is snowing out while I am at work. Supposed to be a nightmare

commute in
> > the morning and I cannot miss work. I am nervous. I am still

working on
> > the hill-starts and have only stalled about 3-4 times but still

working on
> > going after a full start. I am very concerned about driving a

manual in
> > the snow and ice tomorrow, its supposed to be very slippery. Any

advice
> > from you manual drivers for a newbie??

> 1) shift as early as possible (use the highest gear you can)

And do it slowly, deliberately, and gently.

> 2) never actually stop - treat stop signs as yields.

Unless there's somebody watching. Oh; waitaminnit; you're in
Massachusetts? Forget it. And Floyd, what's the matter with you?
Don't you know *nobody* stops for stop signs in MA?

> 3) pick a route w/o hill starts - at your stage, in snow, you'll not

be able
> to start on them.

Actually, she may well be able to do so. For sure she isn't likely to
stall the car because the wheels will slip instead of stalling the car.
This could be the learning experience she needs.

> 4) don't use engine braking.

I'd agree for RWD, but disagree on a FWD car. This will promote some
understeer, which is controllable by declutching or overbraking the
rear. Another valuable skill to learn at low speeds.

It also presents the opportunity to learn how to develop controllable
*oversteer* with either left foot braking or handbraking. IOW, Misty,
if you can find a big open space like a parking lot, go mess around
with the car. Start making a turn at slightly too fast a speed and
then try using the handbrake to throw the rear end around where you
want it (Plus, it's about the only way to do 'donuts' in a Cavalier!).
Also try turning while going a bit too fast - to feel the front end
slide. Then, without lifting off the throttle, gently apply the brake
with your left foot to see what happens. Above all, *DON'T PANIC* when
your car slides. Sliding is your friend. Just learn how it can be as
helpful as it is treacherous.
--
C.R. Krieger
(Slip-sliding away ...)