Old January 5th 05, 04:41 PM
Dave C.

> 1) shift as early as possible (use the highest gear you can)
> 2) never actually stop - treat stop signs as yields.
> 3) pick a route w/o hill starts - at your stage, in snow, you'll not be
> able
> to start on them.
> 4) don't use engine braking.
>
> Floyd

I'm with Floyd here. I'd add, don't use 1st gear at all. Keep your engine
RPMs as low as possible without stalling. At first, I thought number 4 was
bad advice. But for a newbie, ummm . . . yeah, engine braking might be a
bad idea at this point. As you get more experienced, you will like the
manual (as opposed to an automatic) in snow/ice, for several reasons. But
we just won't go there right now. -Dave