Old December 10th 04, 05:57 AM
Bob

I've found the problem and ordered most of the required parts, except
the culprit; the axle retaining ring (snap ring) that retains the axle.
Apparently the failure of this $0.50 ($8.00 from GM) part is not
uncommon that is why GM has discontinued it's supply and insists that
you buy a new "retrofit" axle with a larger retaining ring and groove
for about $500. Since the previous one lasted 6 to 10 years, I just want
the retaining ring but GM won hear of it. Local drive line shops have
the sam problem. Has someone else come up with a solution? One person
has told me the old axle groove can be widened to accommodate the
retrofit retaining ring (which has a round cross section instead of the
traditional rectangular). Has anyone done this?

b.t.w. This is the same front end used in the K3500

Thx!