Old December 3rd 04, 06:20 AM
sdlomi2

"Spiderman" > wrote in message
> The hood latch on my 1989 Chevy S10 Blazer occasionally gets stuck

(usually
> when it's cold out). I tried lubing the latch and spring to no avail. I'd
> like to increase the tension on the cable to get a bigger "release"....but
> it does not appear to be adjustable. I tried moving the little metal

stopper
> at the end of the cable but it doesn't budge. What's the trick?

Hi, Spiderman. My '87 S10 Blazer cable broke. *Buy*(This 1st
suggestion may not be necessary--depends on condition of present cable.
See second alternative below.) from the discount parts house, from the
"HELP" display section a replacement cable kit. Remove the old one. Thread
the new one thru the housing(it goes from inside the car thru housing to
underhood--the release handle is fixed to the cable with NO underhood end on
cable.). Kit comes with a 'brass threaded sleeve' that slides over the
underhood end where it is screw-tightened onto cable. Ensure you adjust the
sleeve where it will pull the latch "further".
*Second, cheaper, quicker:* Look at that kit to get an idea what the "
threaded sleeve" looks like. Then, see if you can buy just that piece, cut
off the 'ball' from the end of original cable and attach sleeve further up
the cable than original. Same final outcome as above. May have to get it
from Chevy dealer, but I'd bet HELP sells it by itself. Grease that latch
and work it by hand 'til the wife can open it with her left hand! HTH &
good luck, s