Old July 21st 05, 07:15 PM
jeff

Nathan W. Collier wrote:
> "jeff" > wrote in message
> newsiNDe.13026$N91.269@trnddc08...
>
>>Nice strawman

> not a strawman. i was making the point that you can find websites to
> support most any view you care to take. that doesnt make it factual.

Google: [Freon Refrigeration]
Seven out of the first ten hits out of 47K) for [Freon Refrigeration]
come back using the word generically.
Google: [Hitler Hero]
I checked the first four pages of links, and other than Arnold praising
Adolph, I came up with no links supporting a positive view.

>>I *am* saying that their branding was too good and for the majority of the
>>population, including the examples I provided of more than a score of
>>engineering firms, Freon is a generic term.

> only to the _ignorant_ which is what ive stated from the beginning. using
> the term is why i called you ignorant. defending its usage as industry
> terminology in the face of someone within the industry telling you otherwise
> is what makes you an ignorant ****.

Sorry bub, I'll trust my own eyes (and provide cites) rather than just
trusting your "word" for it. I understand that you believe what your
saying is correct, but you need to lift your view from the narrow scope
of your trade magazines and training manuals, which BTW, most likely
have DuPont as a paid advertiser.

>>I simply demonstrated the fundamental error in your statement that the
>>word Freon is NEVER used as a generic term for CFCs/a Class of
>>Refrigerants/a chemical compound.

> i didnt say it was never used. i said it was never used within the
> industry.

And I provided dozens of examples of it being used generically "within
the *Industry*", or are you judge and jury about who gets included "in
the industry".

> BOTTOM LINE, you stated "freon is a compound". dictionary.com
> defines freon as a trademark.

Yes, and I've shown usage beyond that.
http://reference.allrefer.com/encyclopedia/F/Freon.html

>>Ok then, I am still waiting to see these puddles of freon of yours!

> concentration. i know that the wind will blow it around a mix it up, but
> its not going to carry it all the way to the ozone layer.

Why not?

> do you have any idea how short the life of chlorine is in sunlight?

Given that sunlight rarely causes transmutation of elements, ummmm, plus
or minus a couple of billion years, I'd say *infinite*. However that
said, you may be thinking of hypochlorous acid (HOCl) which is the
chemical compound that referred to as "chlorine" in your swimming pool.
Thank you for an excellent example of a genericized term in common
usage, that to most of the world seems quite obvious, but one that an
"insider" may take exception to.
Cl2+H2O-> HCl+HOCl 4(HOCl)-> 2(H20)+O2+Cl2

--
jeff