Old February 5th 05, 11:36 PM
Robert F Merrill

> I moved and have been renting out my old house until I sell it. My
> tenants just moved out and left behind a junk car. I have not been
> able to contact them since they owe me money and left no forwarding
> address. It clearly states in their lease that any property left
> behind after they vacate the premises becomes property of the
> landlord. So, legally this piece of junk is now mine. The problem is
> what to do with it. I would like to just have a salvage yard pick it
> up, but I do not have the title to the car. Does anyone know if a
> salvage yard can still take it, or do i need to have the sheriff come
> and do something, or what? This is a rural property, and is in
> Wisconsin. I looked on the WI D.O.T website but there is nothing
> listed, and there are so many departments I dont have a clue which one
> to call.

You need to call either the police (state police/county Sherrif's
department) to have it removed, or go to the state DMV with VIN and proof
that you own it (i.e. proof that the tenants owned it, a copy of the lease
agreement and proof that it was left on your property and they have not
tried to claim it) to request a transfer of the title.