Old February 4th 05, 01:57 AM
Jim Yanik

Lurking > wrote in
:

> The Blue wrote:
>>

>> Daniel J. Stern wrote:

>> This is from the study in question I have other sources I assumed this
>> was common knowledge that senior are a hazard on the road. Strayer said
>> they found that when 18- to-25-year-olds were placed in a driving
>> simulator and talked on a cellular phone, they reacted to brake lights
>> from a car in front of them as slowly as 65- to 74-year-olds who<> were
>> not using a cell phone.
>>

> Slower reaction time does not does not mean _much_more_of_a_danger_. If
> your also following so closely that your slow reaction causes an
> accident...

Close following is not the only need for fast reaction times.
Avoiding an improper lane change by another driver is one,and braking for
pedestrians is another(but not all the reasons).
Cellphone conversations cause drivers to not scan as they would if giving
full attention to driving.too.They become oblivious to what's going on
around them.

> The people that have the real numbers are insurance
> companies. 18- to 25-year-olds have the highest rates because they cost
> the insurance company the most. Most 65- to 74-year-olds have figured
> out that they are not invincible and compensate for their slower
> reaction times.

And such "compensation" does not work for all situations one can expect to
encounter in daily driving.

--
Jim Yanik
jyanik