Old October 16th 04, 02:00 AM

On Fri, 15 Oct 2004 19:31:07 -0400, "Joe" > wrote:

>I'm LOL! Surely he meant to say non-magnetic, but as has already been
>pointed out, it depends. It's a pretty good test, in my opinion.
>
>"Alex Rodriguez" > wrote in message
>> In article >,

>> says...
>>
>> >Stainless steel is non-metallic

>> This is not true. It is a metal. You probably meant to say it is
>> non-ferous, which is not true either.
>>

>> >.....Place a magnet against it and if it sticks
>> >IS NOT stainless steel....

>> Also not true. Depends on the specific alloy. Magnets will stick, though
>> weakly, to some stainless steel alloys.
>> Alex

Lets just say if a magnet does NOT stick, there is a better than 50/50
chance the muffler is stainless. On a car or truck, pretty close to
100%, as aluminum and carbon fibre mufflers on cars are extremely
rare.

If it sticks, more than likely it is NOT stainless - just because of
the difference in sheer numbers produced.