Old July 19th 06, 05:44 AM posted to rec.autos.tech
Kevin

Default 1986 Toyota pickup - sudden idle problems

> wrote in message
ps.com...
> Thanks for your reply. I thought it might be a vacuum problem, but I
> couldn't find any vacuum lines obviously blown off. Any idea where I
> can find schematics for the vacuum lines, so I know where to start?
> I'll have to get someone to keep the truck running, so I can try to
> listen for a leak. Is it most likely going to be right around the
> carburetor?
>
> If that doesn't work, is the next task to start dismantling the
> carburetor to look for a problem?
>
> Thanks,
> Jason
>
> Kevin wrote:
>
>> Most likely the induction backfire blew off a vacuum line somewhere and
>> you
>> now have a vacuum leak. It may have even blown back through the carb and
>> dislodged some crud or messed up a seal in the carb. It might have even
>> blown an intake gasket, but the point is that it really wasn't the
>> SeaFoam
>> that did the damage, it was the backfire. There is a pretty good chance
>> that
>> the problem is minor, although it may be hard to find the vacuum leak
>> caused
>> by the backfire, but that is what I would be looking for if it was my
>> truck.
>> --
>> Kevin Mouton
>> Automotive Technology Instructor
>> "If women don't find you handsome, they should at least find you handy"
>> Red Green

If you don't have a smoke machine the next best way to look for a vacuum
leak is by listening for it with a stethoscope. We have electronic
stethoscopes, but you can create a make shift one by holding a piece of
rubber tubing to your ear and probing for the hiss of a leak with the other
end. Be sure to check the power brake booster and A/C vacuum reservoir lines
and maybe even examine the EGR and PCV valve to make sure there is no leak
there.