Old February 12th 05, 07:53 AM
Usual Suspect

Usual Suspect wrote:

> Floyd L. Davidson wrote:
>
>>I'll*grant*that*hugging*the*right*side
>> is dangerous (actually, _changing lanes_ is dangerous, but since
>> more of that is necessary as one nears the right lane, the right
>> lane is indeed dangerous as a result).

> Yes
>
>> However, on any highway built to Interstate standards, which is to
>> say if there is *no left side egress*, it is a valid (albeit not
>> necessarily smart) law to require traffic to favor the right lane
>> when not passing.**It*almost*makes*sense*with*two*lanes,*bu t*gets
>> to be less and less sane with more than two lanes of traffic.

> Not quite. It makes very little sense with two lanes. Ideally, everyone
> would move at a safe speed and distance in the left lane, with the right
> lane clear for merging vehicles (including trucks like the one that almost
> had RMS splattered all over it).
>
> The only ones advocating "keep right except to pass" (KRETP) are those who
> drive much faster that everyone (and the speed limit, of course). They
> want the left lane cleared for them as they approach.
>
>> The big problem I've seen is rural states trying to pass the
>> same laws for roads that are not built to Interstate standards.
>> (Alaska's highways are an example, and they've tried the "Slower
>> Traffic Keep Right" even on roads with left side egress that
>> lacks *a* left turn lane no less!**Abject*stupidity!

> In California, legally, you are only supposed to stay away from the
> leftmost lane if you are moving slower than the "normal speed of traffic
> at that particular point and time" (the law does not seem to define what
> "normal speed of traffic" is, other than say it may be distinct from the
> speed limit). Regardless, I've never heard of this silly law being
> enforced around San Diego.

I'm sorry, this should be "normal speed of traffic moving in your direction
(as opposed to `lane`) at the time". It's not clearly defined, and very
hard to prove, so taking into account the presumption of innocence, it's
really a non-law. I don't know of anyone punished for violating it in this
state.