Old March 2nd 06, 07:06 PM posted to rec.autos.makers.honda

Default Cold air intake whistling noise

jim beam > wrote in
t:

> TeGGeR® wrote:

>> Your "cold air" intake is likely not doing anything except making
>> your engine bay look pretty and your wallet thinner.
>>

> we should qualify that statement:
>
> "your 'cold air' intake is likely not doing anything ... on your
> honda."
>
> there's no doubt that on some vehicles, notably domestic v8's, air is
> being sucked through severely choked down piping that would restrict a
> 1200cc import, let alone a 5 liter v8. in that situation, "cold air"
> can definitely make a difference.

I would agree with that. Anyone who's ever tried to use his hand to block
off the air horn on a small-carbed V8 (at or above idle) will attest to the
*considerable* suction present. Our little fours have nothing like it.

My old '76 Dodge Coronet's 318 had a fairly quiet intake -- until a new air
filter element was installed. A new filter produced a noticeably loud
*whoooooooo* noise when you opened the throttle. This noise gradually went
away as the filter got dirtier.

--
TeGGeR®

The Unofficial Honda/Acura FAQ