Old January 9th 05, 09:06 PM
Ingo Braune

Nate Nagel wrote:
> Ingo Braune wrote:

[...]

>> As no real "base" models were sold in the US: Maybe you got an
>> westmoreland electrified golf?
>> My european 85 A2 Jetta with GL trim-level had the delay from the
>> factory.

> Not true, my mom has a base model '86.

Now, that may be what you in the US call base model...

> Actually it will be mine as soon
> as I can go get it. I kind of like the lack of accessories, the only
> options it has are air conditioning, rear defog, and rear wiper (I'm not
> sure, were the last two even optional?)

Don't know for the US spec A2, but a european "base model" A2 would have
a 55HP engine (just 45HP for Italy and IIRC Portugal), no center console
no middle air outlets in the hard plastics dash (that's right there were
different kinds over here and the ones without padding have one benefit:
they never crack), neither light in trunk nor glove box and of course
like 99% of the A2s over here no AC.

> Wouldn't mind having power
> windows, but it's narrow enough it's not too painful to reach over and
> roll down the pass. side. Electric mirrors would be nice too, but if
> it's a one-driver car it's a non-issue once you get 'em set.
>
> I believe it does not have the delay, neither did my '84 Scirocco
> (German) or '84 GTI (Westmoreland.) My '89 GTI 16V (Westmoreland - I
> think? don't recall) did have the delay, but the little capacitor was
> very toasted, so it didn't work.

Ok, so it's not a strictly US - europe thing, but maybe the delay module
took some time to get over the pond. ;-)

Ingo