Old July 13th 04, 10:05 PM
CuriousOnly

Default Issue with a 97 Saturn SL1

I am having an issue with the switch located underneath the clutch pedal in
my Saturn. Or at least I think it's the switch.

Here's the issue: Sometimes I turn the key and nothing happens, as if the
clutch pedal isn't being pressed. If I work it enough times (sometimes
enough is once or twice, sometimes enough is 30 or 40) the engine will
finally start.

Here's what's been checked: It has been confirmed that the battery (which
is now fairly new), the alternator, pretty much the entire charging and
electrical systems are fine. Everything is good there. Mechanic even
suggested that the floor mat was the problem, as it was sliding up
underneath the pedal. Okay, fine, except that since that day I check the
floor mat everytime I get in the car.

MY theory, is that the little black switch located underneath the clutch
pedal is faulty. For those that are wondering, this is the switch that
prevents you from starting the car while it's in gear, so it doesn't jump.
Are these expensive to replace? Do I have to go to the dealer? I can see
that it doesn't look difficult to actually replace it, but has anyone else
had experience with this?

Thanks for any information