Old December 10th 04, 04:43 AM
E. Meyer

On 12/9/04 5:39 PM, in article ,
"Robert11" > wrote:

> Hi,
>
> Would like to get your opinions on this:
>
> Brought my 2004 Accord LX, 6 cyl in for the first 15,000 mile checkup.
>
> The Service Mgr. at the dealership said that "they automatically do a front
> end alignment on these
> cars Every 15,000, as the "slightest mis-alignment causes uneven wear on the
> tires, which are so expensive"
>
> The Honda site has nothing about front end alignments at 15K
> in their Service Intervals writeups for the car.
>
> Can't hurt, I guess, but it sure sounds like a very low mileage to have
> done. Also, not cheap.
>
> Is the dealership milking me, or is it a "pretty good" idea to have done at
> 15K intervals ?
>
> Any thoughts would be most appreciated.
>
> Thanks,

Generally there is no prescribed mileage for front end alignments because it
depends almost totally on when you hit that next big pothole or scrape the
curb. If the tires are wearing evenly and the car steers straight ahead on
a flat & level roadway, you don't need one. If there are signs of abnormal
wear on the front tires or the handling is off, then you do need one.

If the dealer is saying this sight-unseen, then he is just trying to milk
you. Probably most cars do need an alignment by 15,000 miles, but it should
be prescribed after first looking at the front wheels and suspension.