Old July 21st 05, 12:44 PM
Jan

Kuebel Guy wrote:
> Good!
>
> while inspecting the case, I've discovered that the thread that holds
> the
> oil presure sensor is broken. In fact looks like a bronze thread insert
> which
> was glued to the case hole, as the case itself is not threaded at all.
>
> I was planning to clean the hole, and glue a new insert (if I find one)
> or make a thread in the case to hold the insert.
>
> your advice...?
>
> cheers!

Thread the existing hole for an insert. Solid insert takes more room and
there's not a whole lot of meat around the boss, so I dunno... coil type
thread requires less room but I would worry about leaks.. well.. use
sealant and/or teflon tape..

Biggest problem is to find a suitable thread insert. May need to have
one made or make it yourself. Glue a non-threaded insert in there? Jeez.
No way. It's under constant pressure, and oil..

Maybe go to a pro alu welding shop and have them fill weld the hole
shut, then drill and tap for fresh threads. Alu/Mag case CAN be welded.
(if you know what you are doing)

One more idea: how about trying to find a pressure switch from another
car that already has a larger diameter thread size, then ream and tap
the case for that size?

It's just a stupid pressure on/off switch, and most car engines require
*roughly* the same oil pressure at idle to protect the bearings.
Bearings are the same basic type, with more or less same clearances,
regardless of what engine it is, so they should have the same basic
lubrication requirements. - so, it shouldn't be hard to find a switch
that opens at the same approximate pressure as the OEM VW switch, but
just has larger diamater threads. I think? Never tried.

Jan