Old March 21st 05, 02:06 AM

In article >,
Brent P > wrote:
>you'll understand. Let's say your federal income tax obligation all said
>and done is 20% of your income. Let's say I make significantly less and
>my obligation is zero after deductions. I want free ice cream every
>friday, as do many others. We want the federal government to provide us ice
>cream every friday. There are enough of us that congress criters want our
>votes. The benefits of having ice cream once a week are brought out, some
>people object that ice cream will make people fat and the lactose
>intolerant will be left out. An admendment is made for special ice cream
>You now pay 21% of your income in federal income taxes after deductions. I
>still pay 0% after deductions. I and the majority of people who don't
>have to pay now have free ice cream every friday.
>
>Now we want free cake on tuesdays, and chicken every saturday...

These preposterously simple minded conservative scenarios tell us **** about
the real world. I haven't heard any body asking for free cake and chicken.
But even if the government did provide free cake to everybody it would a
completely insignificant expediture relative to things like DEBT INTEREST
payments.

>And that's why it's a problem. It destroys the republic as people vote
>themselves money from the treasury.

You know what really does "destroy the republic"? GOVERNMENT DEBT
hyperinflated by simultaneous tax cuts and solo wars. What destroys the
republic are _huge_ government debt pileups created by idiots thinking
"I don't want my neighbor to get free cake and ice cream some day so I'll
vote myself a huge tax cut to make sure it doesn't happen." Almost all
of your money is going to pay for $$$ debt interest, $$$ cluster bombs, an
insurance system for elderly and disabled people, and guaranteed $$$ profits
for drug and other companies -- it is not going to pay for cake.

>Wether you think the cause is worthy
>or not, when this condition of taxation exists, those who don't have to
>pay the taxes will gleefully vote for those who transfer funds from those
>paying the taxes.

I will "gleefully" vote to provide children with health insurance because
they can't vote for it themselves. I'm pretty certain Jesus would gleefully
want that too. I will "gleefully" vote for a universal health care system
because (1) every other country pays far less than the USA with generally
better health statistics and (2) more than 18000 American citizens die every
year without it. That means in the last 10 years the US has had 3000 deaths
from terrorism (and spent $500+ billion because of it) versus 180,000+ deaths
from lack of health care.