Old March 16th 05, 06:01 PM
Big Bill

On Wed, 16 Mar 2005 10:38:42 -0500, "Cory Dunkle" >
wrote:

>"Big Bill" > wrote in message
.. .
>> On Tue, 15 Mar 2005 13:27:23 -0500, "Cory Dunkle" >
>> wrote:
>>
>> >"moneymouth" > wrote in message
>> oups.com...

>American.
>> >
>> >Many (even most) of the components in modern "American" cars are not
>> >american made, or American designed. The things that are american made

>(some
>> >foreign cars) all the money goes back overseas.

>> All those workers are forced to send their paychecks overseas? I
>> didn't know that.

>You seem to have missed the point entirely...

I may have missed the point, but only because you didn't make it.
" all the money goes back overseas" doesn't mean profits, does it?
No, it means what it says: "all the money". That *includes* profits,
but it doesn'ty limit itself to profits.
Making a point requires you to actually make it.

>Do you think the executives at Toyota or Honda give all the profits to the
>assembly line workers who put the foreign parts together at an American
>factory? Heck no, all the profits go overseas to the company. The executive
>and engineers make the big bucks, and other funds are re-invested in the
>company. Obviously payroll expenses for assembly line workers in America go
>to those workers. So sure some foreign cars are assembled by Americans
>working in America [with foreign parts, made in various foreign countries],
>but all the profits from selling that car go overseas (the foreign company
>overseas and the people working for the company overseas).
>
>Similar deal for American brands... Most of the work is outsourced to other
>countries, where labor is cheaper. The cars may be assembled here (not
>always the case) but most of the parts are either foreign of another brand
>(corporate alliances) or are made/assembled in foreign countries by foreign
>workers. So maybe the car is assembled in America, but it certainly is not
>_made_ in America. Much (most?) of the labor is done overseas, taking jobs
>from the American market. The upside is that the profits go to an American
>company and American executives and engineers (mostly, again the whole
>foreign outsourcing and corporate alliance thing). The downside of the
>upside, so to speak, is that the profits are reinvested in foreign labor.
>This creates more jobs, or even better jobs, in foreign countries where
>labor is cheaper, but does not help the American economy.
>
>I apologize, Bill, if I was unclear in my original post. I hope this
>clarifies it a bit for you.

Thank you.

--
Bill Funk