Old July 13th 05, 10:20 PM
y_p_w

Daniel J. Stern wrote:
> On Wed, 13 Jul 2005, y_p_w wrote:
>
> > Well - I've done halfassed **** in a pinch.

> In a pinch, sure. I got my '65 Valiant started and driveable home
> when the distributor condenser failed by wiring a Tecumseh lawnmower
> engine condenser across the coil negative and ground...but when I got
> home, I fixed it right!

I'm thinking of keeping some of that translucent red tape in my car if
an "emergency" ever happens.

> > Oh - I was looking around for alternatives and saw that the PIAA
> > "Mirror Orange" bulb is available in 7440. Don't know if they're
> > worth $40/pair, but I can't imagine that it's quite as bad as their
> > headlights.

> Every time I've figured that such-and-such a PIAA product can't be as
> bad as their headlights...
>
> ...I've been wrong.
>
> Also, if you pay $40 for a pair of turn signal bulbs, I'll come over
> there and kick your ass myself. I can do it, too; I've got DSL.

Weren't you just recommending the Silverstar/Diadem or SilverVision
turn signal bulbs that go for $20-25/pair?

A local Subaru dealer has OEM (Koito?) amber 7440 for $14.98 each, and
would have to special order them. I don't even think Sylvania has
them in its catalog. I called up a local Kragen (CSK) and they can't
even order them. This has got to be a conspiracy!!! I did find this:

<http://www.candlepowerinc.com/pdfs/Wedge_Signal.pdf>

I've seen a couple of generic ones (incl Eurolite) for $3-4 each
online. I don't trust the quality though.