Old December 29th 04, 07:04 PM
John Riggs

Yes, all well and good, but if a guy has at least a rudimentary
knowledge of automotive mechanics, this is one of the simpler repairs, and
if he pays attention to what he's doing, it doesn't have to be a costly
repair, but a mere temporary annoyance. If he isn't comfortable doing it,
great, pay someone else, but if he is confident in his abilities and
conscientious about his work, it is a few bucks and 20 minutes of time to
replace. I can't tell you how many I have replaced, and never had so much as
single glitch. The worst I ever had was a broken ear on the gooseneck of a
'63 ford.....but it was also my first attempt at replacing one, and I had
incorrectly torqued the bolts....bought another one at a local salvage yard
for a couple of bucks and was done in just a few minutes. It's really not
all that complicated. You just have to pay attention to what you are doing.
My engines typically last well over 200K miles, so I can't be too far off,
but I still recommend a guy buys himself a manual to help guide him through
minor repairs like this.