Old December 28th 04, 04:25 PM
Big Bill

On Mon, 27 Dec 2004 21:09:10 -0600, "John Riggs"
> wrote:

> I've been doing it since I was 16, Jim. It really doesn't take much
>longer than that, including purging any air caught in the system, but I
>guess there are those things that happen.

You, working on your own car in your driveway, can afford to do it the
quick, easy way. If it goes wrong, you can simply blame yourself, and
fix it right.
The mechanic can't afford to do that. When the customer comes back
with a complaint, it must be fixed, and for free. And if the customer,
being totally unaware of the fact that problems don't fix themselves,
continues to drive the car until it breaks, guess what? The mechanic
has to fix THAT for free, too. This gets expensive,and, if the
mechanic works for a shop instead of being self-employed, he may find
himself non-employed if this happens too much. So the mechanic (and
the shop) will develop procedures for each job that may seem excessive
too the shadetree mechanic, but are necessary nonetheless. And they
cost more, of necessity.
> What ever happened to the days when boys were taught these things in
>school?

They still are, in many schools.
Not the "prestigious" schools, though, but the ones you don't hear
about.
--
Bill Funk
Change "g" to "a"