Old December 8th 04, 02:50 AM

Default The Story Behind Lightning Cancelation

Per Hemmings:

Lightning Cancelation

- Lightning was originally planned for a mid '06 release as '07 model.

- Development of GR-1 sports car then pushed release date back to '08.
- New [current] F-150 is a due to be "refreshed" in '09.
- The "refreshening" would have made the Lightning a one-year model,
and
supposedly not a smart business move.
- The new [current] F-150 weighs 600 pounds more than the previous
model.
- This curb weight would make it too difficult to build a SRT-10
beater.

Does this story make sense to you guys/girls?

I think the story makes sense, but I suspect this may be only a portion
of the story. I wonder if the instability of fuel prices and recent
debut of the SRT-10 weren't also factors.

If gas prices were to continue their upward spiral, sales of hot rod
trucks would likely go in the toilet.

With the recent debut of the Viper truck, I wonder if maybe Ford was a
little worried about a crowded market. Anyone know how well the
previous Lightnings sold? Did they always get snapped right up or were
their sales always a bit lukewarm?

Patrick
'93 Cobra
'83 LTD