Old June 26th 05, 11:26 PM
DTJ

On Sun, 26 Jun 2005 00:34:28 -0500, "Ray O"
> wrote:

>valves, causing extensive damage. People often find this hard to believe,
>but the folks who make the cars probably know more about the car and the
>cost benefits of performing periodic maintenance than most owners. Whether
>the cost to replace the timing belt is $200 for a Camry or $1,000 for the
>Accord, it is cheaper to change the timing belt before it breaks than
>letting it break and having to tow for an unscheduled repair or worse, tear
>down the engine for major repairs.

According to every Honda mechanic I have asked, and that is more than
a couple, a timing belt failure does not lead to any significant
damage. Every time they recommend a change, I ask them, and they look
down, admit they are just trying to make more money, and walk away
chastened for being caught at it.