Old June 26th 05, 03:57 PM

"Ray O" > wrote in message
ervers.com...

> I agree that dealers don't always provide the quality of the service that
> they should, especially for the prices they charge BUT, like I said, given
> an unfamiliar dealer and an unfamiliar independent shop, IMO, the dealer

is
> a much better bet. If you know a competent independent who charges less
> than a dealership, uses quality parts, and stands behind his work, then he
> may be worth going to. Our local Toyota dealer charges less than $200

for
> a timing belt replacement where the independent wants closer to $300

because
> it takes him longer.
>
> Like I said, it is worth pricing the work before getting it done.

I do a lot of my own work, Ray, but not all of it anymore. It is worth
getting it priced
before you begin, but it is also important to find a mechanic/garage that
you can trust.
I research as carefully as I can before I take my car to anyone for special
work. I use
the experiences of friends, the AAA approved list, etc, and often talk to
the mechanic
or shop owner to see if he is fair and competent, or is just a 'goober'.

Lots of 'goobers' in the patch, and far too many of them own or work at
dealerships.
Going to a dealership is no guarantee of anything unless you know them and
their work
standards. Same for an independent.