Old June 26th 05, 06:25 AM
Ray O

> wrote in message
m...

> "Ray O" > wrote in message
> ervers.com...
>>
>> > wrote in message
>> m...
>> >
>> > "Ray O" > wrote in message
>> > ervers.com...

> have

> today.

> troubling

> is

> new

> breaks....

> breaks

> I'd
>> > do

>> > The Gates book shows the V6 to be interference, I believe, while the L4

> is
>> > not, if I read it correctly.

>> I stand corrected! By the way, a timing belt that is getting ready to

> fail
>> will start to make a slapping noise so they generally give warning before
>> they fail. If you change it every 90,000 miles, then no worries.
>> >
>> > I would pick my mechanical service carefully.

>> I agree - see my earlier responses.
>>
>> Some dealerships are crappy,
>> > others may be pretty good. A blanket recommendation to take your car

>> > dealership garage is not the best advice,
>> > in my opinion.
>> >

>> Dealerships must meet special service tool, training, equipment, and
>> facility requirements. They also receive a full set of factory service
>> manuals and new special service tools every year as well as receive every
>> technical service bulletin as soon as they are issued. Dealership
>> service
>> departments are rated by consumers and regularly receive customer
>> satisfaction scores.

> Some dealers are good, some are crap, as I said before.

This is true, however, of the 100 or so dealerships I've personally dealt
with, I'd say 70% were technically good, another 25% were excellent, and the
remaining 5% were poor. The proportions of good, excellent, and poor
technicians who worked at the dealerships is probably about the same. Your
chances of getting good service on your Toyota at a Toyota dealer are at
least as good and probably better than your chances of getting that same
level of technical competence at an independent shop.

>> I have no problem with most independents for simple work like oil
>> changes,
>> brakes, suspension, etc. but beyond that, their knowledge and experience
>> tends to be generic where Toyota technicians have more specific knowledge
>> and experience. My recommendation was not a blanket one to take the car

>> a dealership; it was for a timing belt replacement.
>> --

> " I recommend that you have the timing belt changed by a dealer."
>
> You dont have to take it to a dealer. You want to take your car to a good
> and competent
> mechanic, wherever he may be. Dealers dont always provide this quality.
> They SHOULD,
> at the prices they charge, provide experts but unfortunately this just
> isnt
> always the case.

I agree that dealers don't always provide the quality of the service that
they should, especially for the prices they charge BUT, like I said, given
an unfamiliar dealer and an unfamiliar independent shop, IMO, the dealer is
a much better bet. If you know a competent independent who charges less
than a dealership, uses quality parts, and stands behind his work, then he
may be worth going to. Our local Toyota dealer charges less than $200 for
a timing belt replacement where the independent wants closer to $300 because
it takes him longer.

Like I said, it is worth pricing the work before getting it done.
--
Ray O
correct the return address punctuation to reply