Old June 26th 05, 05:49 AM
Kiran

DTJ > wrote:

: Where are you getting those prices? An accord costs almost $1000 to
: have the timing belt and water pump done. I would assume a Toyota is
: similar.

I have no experience with Hondas, but 1000 seems too much for a Camry.
For timing belt alone I have seen *dealer* ads around 200 (granted
those are promotions).

: However, I have had 3 Hondas with more than 130,000 miles, none of
: which showed any indication of failure for going past the 90,000 mile
: mark where it should have been replaced. I am almost convinced that
: timing belt replacement is, as CH says, snake oil. Besides, the quote
: to do the work before and after a failure is not that different.

There are two arguments against this. First, even if not much more
expensive, it will be much more inconvenient if done in an emergency.
If it breaks on the road, you would miss whatever you were driving to,
and could also be far away from any Toyota dealer or even a decent
garage.

Second, I know that if they say 90,000 it is not going to break at
91,000. If I want to sell my car at 100,000 or even 110,000 I might
chance it. But what if I plan to keep it until 150,000 as OP said? Or
even longer. After a point, I won't have piece of mind. And if I change
it later, I'd be spending the money anyway.

BTW on my Camry I changed it at 120,000 but I did change it, because of
accululating anxiety. I drive alone, or with kids, during nights,
through less populated areas, etc. I could have changed it earlier for
much less anxiety and no more money.