Old January 17th 05, 12:14 AM
marx404

Darius, heres someone with the straight scoop. '01 saw some major changes to
the SC. '02 was the final year of the S car. There were many minor issues in
the '01 model (which not all cars have), not all the same problems exist in
the '02 SC models.

Below are all the recall/bulletins for the '01 SC1. SOHC engines have a
known tendency for cracked heads and overheating when not properly taken
care of and especially if allowed to overheat. We have 3 SOHC S-cars in the
family and the only issues with one was our teenagers dogged on the car and
failed to properly check fluids, thus overheating and blown gaskets (which
would have lead to a cracked head); after repair, that car is on its second
teenage driver and still running strong.

SOHC engines are only 100hp but also have somewhat better pickup on the low
power end than DOHC. And of course, the gas mileage is better. Here is a
site with known bulletins and problems on the '01 SC1, the '02 models also
shared some of these issues but many are not applicable.

As I said, '01 was the 1st year of the "newly designed" SC models, '02 was
the 2nd and final yr. I drive an '02 DOHC SC2 myself. Hope this info helps.
http://www.alldata.com/TSB/53/015309FC.html

marx404