Old November 24th 04, 04:07 AM
Jeremy

"sarginger" > wrote in message alkaboutautos.com>...
> My girlfriend recently bought a used 1990 Accord and now the driver's side
> door won't open. It has power locks, but no matter how you unlock/lock it
> (power, with key, manually) the locking mechanism doesn't seem to disengage
> on the driver's side door even though the button moves up and down on the
> door panel. Neither handle (inside or outside) seems to make any
> difference, but both have some resistance, which tells me the linkage is
> all still intact. It sounds like it is a faulty locking/latching
> mechanism, which I think can be replaced, but how in the world can I get
> the door open now? Is there a way to disengage the lock or something from
> the inside so I can open the door? To make matters worse, her father is a
> Ford man and was opposed to buying a used Honda but I argued how good
> their quality was and all that stuff and she bought it against his will
> and now this happens.
>
> Anyway, any help at all would be greatly appreciated.
>
> thanks in advance,
>
> Fred.

Hi,
I also had the exact same problem with my drivers door lock mechanism
a few months after I purchased it. I'm not exactly sure how the part
was replaced and how the shop replaced it but was an expensive repair
bill, around $600-$650 parts and labor. As for your girlfriends father
being opposed to buying used Honda's ask him how many Fords can still
run like new with 215,000 miles on the original engine/transmission.
Let's put things in perspective; that new door lock sounds much better
than a engine rebuild on a sh*t domestic Ford.
Jeremy
91' Accord Ex
215,000 and counting