Old July 25th 05, 12:51 AM
Sir Lex

Scott en Aztlán wrote:
> It was an all-too-typical scene: idiot driver wants to merge, slows
> down, turns on signal, and WAITS. There is a space in the adjacent
> lane more than large enough for her to merge into, but still she
> hesitates. Through the open window she begins giving hand signals to
> the driver in the target lane, seeking assurance that he will actually
> allow her to merge in. The other driver, probably dumbfounded at what
> he is seeing, does not respond at first, so bimbo keeps up the
> histrionics until finally the other driver waves her on. At long last
> she completes her merge.
>
> Meanwhile, everyone in the lane behind this genius had yet another
> precious minute stolen from their lives.

I stopped in an onramp once. When I was learning to drive, I freaked
out when I had to do my first merge onto a motorway so I stopped,
waited, moved in when it was completely clear. Haven't done it that way
since :-)

I reckon the best way to merge onto a motorway is to come screaming
down/up the onramp like a bat outta hell. Anyone who may have been
contemplating deliberately moving up so as not to let me in will think
twice... It's been working that way for me for years, and I've never had
a problem.

IMHO, any driver who does not merge at the speed of traffic onto a
motorway should be penalised. When I used to have to merge onto
motorways on a daily basis, I would usually encounter the aftermath of
an accident that had occurred at the bottom of my usual onramp around
once a month. Ho hum, I wonder what on earth caused them?

--
SL

"The essence of propaganda consists in winning people over
to an idea so sincerely, so vitally, that in the end they
succumb to it utterly and can never again escape from it"

Joseph Goebbels - Nazi Minister of Propaganda, 1933 - 1945