Old July 19th 05, 09:45 PM
The Real Bev

Logan Shaw wrote:

> The Real Bev wrote:
> > I doubt if the tow-jockey cares where you bought your membership -- otherwise
> > you'd play hell getting a tow in an expensive area if you'd bought your
> > membership in a cheap area.

> Call me crazy, but I don't quite get why it's worthwhile to buy
> insurance for this in the first place.
>
> At the worst, I can imagine needing a tow perhaps twice a year, and
> that would be in a bad year. Given that it costs about $125 for a
> tow, I'm not sure how it's a catastrophe to have to pay for it yourself.

How far do you get for $125? AT $7/mile, that's 18 miles. Our kids live 50
miles away. I go skiing 86 miles away. My mom lives 11 miles away. Never
can tell, we might even go somewhere else. The idea of making a simple phone
call and having some pre-vetted tow truck show up to haul the truck back home
so we can fix it ourselves seems not all that dumb. You like the idea of
Billy-Bob towing you to his station and telling you that you need your engine
replaced? Save the $75/year!

> All in all, if I had to choose between the two, I'd much rather have
> insurance for the repairs themselves. You can bet that after you
> spend that $125 to be towed to a shop, the repair bill is going to
> come to a lot more than $125 most of the time.

Unless you do it yourself, which is why you want it towed home rather than to
Billy-Bob's shop.

> Seems to me that's
> the type of unexpected expense to protect yourself from. Not that
> I'm aware of a company that offers this type of insurance, but it
> does seem more desirable.

I guess new cars come with stuff like that, but since I wouldn't dream of
buying a new car I guess I'll never find out.

--
Cheers,
Bev