Old May 11th 05, 12:16 AM
wkearney99

> Interface box? You can use anything from an FM broadcaster {$19.00}, to
> a cassette adapter, if you've got a deck. The best quality {and
> cheapest} is if your deck has an input for an external CD player, get a
> cable and put it in thru there. Less then $10.00.

If all one wants is aux input AND their head unit can be convinced to enable
the input then it's certainly possible.

However, in the context of this conversation thread, being Phatnoise
related, it's sort of pointless to bring up FM transmitters or aux inputs,
isn't it?

> For me, the coolest thing is the utility of the IPod.

It's versatitily is handy.

> OTOH, if your a Windows user, and you can get it hooked up to your
> Jeep's stereo, $119.00's a screaming deal.

Yes, thus my question as to how "vw specific" the PN boxes are. I could
certainly yank out the existing head unit and put in some crappy old VW
Gamma V but that'd be a step backwards. If, however, the PN boxes have some
greater capability, possibly via cabling, other firmware or the like, then
you're dead-right, it's a heck of a deal.

At this point in time, however, the Cabrio needs to use an ipod. We've each
got our own and tend to swap the car between us. She never drives my
raggedy-ass old Cherokee so putting a PN in it might be worth entertaining.

Any ideas on where hacking info can be found for the vw-intended PN boxes?

-Bill Kearney