Old September 3rd 06, 07:25 PM posted to rec.autos.simulators
Tony Rickard

Default Shifting with the wheel buttons

Samson wrote:
> I am new to this stuff. I have a Wingman wheel and the two pedals for
> brake and gas. The wheel has four buttons on the wheel. I have set
> up the controls so that I up shift with the right top button and down
> shift with the right bottom button. I have set the left bottom button
> to be the clutch. I've been using it that way but it occurs to me
> that it might be more natural to have the up shift on the right bottom
> button and the down shift on the right top button.
>
> I'm curious how others that use the wheel buttons for shifting do
> this.

Convention is for the upshift to be on the right hand side and down
shift on the left hand side.

You should feel free to do whatever is comfortable though, with modern
electronics drivers can map these to their preference anyway (Villeneuve
had his Williams changed to have up and down shifts on one paddle rather
than two.)

Cheers
Tony