Old January 10th 05, 05:46 PM
Matthew Russotto

In article >,
Magnulus > wrote:

> The big problem with speeding is enforcement. In my area I see cops
>setting up speed traps in neighborhoods, but just a few blocks away is a
>busy thoroughfare and cops rarely patrol it, despite the fact that when I
>usually drive it the majority is going 10-15 mph above the limit.

Perhaps the locals are smart enough to know that trying to enforce the
limit on the throroughfare would result in more traffic diverted to
the neighborhoods.

>Automatic speed traps with cameras, like they have in Europe, would be far
>more effective, IMO.

Only if the object is collecting revenue and not changing behavior.

> For me, I have 20/40 vision and nystagmus/strabismus, and I only have
>limited depth perception (but I'm working on that, thanks to some vision
>training).

20/40 is no problem at all, except for reading local street signs;
cars and other road objects are big. Nystagmus, though, means any cop will
consider you to be a drunk driver based on the "look at the pen"
test.

>I try and drive very carefully. What is sad is all the people
>on the road, with obviously normal vision, who don't give a flying hoot-
>they are taking their privilege for granted, even though I've had to
>struggle with driving for years.

You've been driving for years yet your mom is giving you driving
lessons? If you're going to use personal testimonial to back up your
argument, try and keep it consistent. Or, if this IS actually the
case, keep it less pathetic.