Old February 6th 05, 11:24 PM
Mike NG

On Sun, 6 Feb 2005 at 21:15:04, Joseph Meehan (Joseph Meehan
>) wrote:
>Juey Ong wrote:
>> When I bring my 98 Passat Wagon in for service, the dealer tries to
>> sell me an "Engline Flush". Best I can tell from the literature is
>> that it uses some 3M product that's supposed to flush out "gunk" from
>> the engine.
>>
>> Question is: is it worth the US$65 or so they're charging and how
>> often is an engine flush necessary?

> It is really a wallet flush, your wallet.
>
> With today's oils and engines engine flushes are seldom of any value and
>are likely to do as much damage as good. Save your money. BTW don't use
>one of those engine flush fluids (commercial or home brew) engines are only
>suppose to run with oil in them not solvents. If you really are worried,
>change your oil and filter, run it 500- 1,000 miles and change it again.

On a related note, does Redex a significant difference. For £10 (from
Costco) I thought I'd try some. It consists of
a) 2 big bottles to use ever 10k-20k (can't remember the exact figure) -
a whole bottle in 50l of fuel
b) A smaller bottle to use - 100ml per 50l of fuel

When I first got my 1.9 TDi I was getting about 600-620 miles per 50l of
fuel.
This went down to about 520-540 since just before it's last service
After the last service it went up to 580
Now on redex I'm back to 620 - that's with 1 big bottle, plus about 3
refuels

Having said that, it may be partially down to
a) no longer having to endure major roadworks on a large stretch of
motorway
b) watching my speed
Although the difference of about 100 miles sounds quite difference, it's
actually just a range of 47-56mpg which I guess is quite acceptable?
--
Mike
Please post replies to newsgroup to benefit others