Old February 2nd 05, 07:32 AM
Magnulus

"Scott en Aztlán" > wrote in message
> "My boyfriends 2001 prius just broke down after 245,000 miles. It is
> the battery pack and they want about $6000 to replace it."
>
> http://www.priusonline.com/viewtopic...842&highlight=

Sounds like gouging to me.

The contents of the battery pack are D-cell NiMH batteries. I believe
there's about 240 of them in the pack. That shouldn't cost more than 2,500
dollars, and that's a liberal estimate.

Also note the 245,00 miles. That's pretty excessive for a car that's 5-6
years old. That represents about 15-18 years of typical driving for a car.
Frankly, I am highly dubious of the whole story- that would have to be ALOT
of driving.

If this guy has really driven 250,000 miles in his Prius, he has probably
saved several thousands of dollars in the price of gasoline- I'm guessing
maybe 8,500, vs. driving a similar car.